Photo Competition 2017
We are quite excited to launch the 1st Annual KAPSA Photographic Competition.
This is your chance to have your photograph included in KAPSA’s 2018 calendar and a set of KAPSA postcards.
Additionally by submitting photographs, and donating your entry fee to KAPSA, you will be helping all the street dogs and cats in Kalkan … so what are you waiting for?
- KALKAN STREET CAT
- KALKAN STREET DOG
- KALKAN STREET ANIMALS TOGETHER (2 or More Street Animals together)
- KALKAN STREET ANIMAL OVERSEAS
There will be a 1st, 2nd & 3rd rosette prize for each category. Additionally the winning photos from each category will be used for KAPSA postcards and feature in the 2018 KAPSA calendar.
Finally there will be one overall winner chosen from the placed winners of all categories; they will receive a trophy. The overall winner will have their winning entry on the cover of the calendar.
This competition is open to all – not just Friends of KAPSA – so if you know people who have visited Kalkan in the past, who aren’t on the Facebook page, please share the details about the competition with them.
All entries will be displayed in a gallery here on the website, a link for which will be available here soon. UPDATE: Competition entries can now be viewed as they are added on this page >> ENTRIES
HOW TO ENTER – PLEASE READ THROUGH CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRIES.
- Send your photographs by email to email@example.com, with the subject PHOTO COMPETITION.
Only photographs in JPG format will be accepted. Images must be in landscape format. Please set your cameras/phones to the highest resolution/biggest size possible and send at that size.
These are examples of landscape format – wider than they are deep.
PLEASE ONLY ATTACH ONE PHOTOGRAPH TO EACH EMAIL YOU SEND AS MULTIPLE PHOTOS MIGHT EXCEED THE FILE ATTACHMENT SIZE.
In the body of the e-mail message please send the following details:-
- Your name
- Which category you are entering
- Contact email address (telephone number optional)
- You can enter as many photos as you want – in any number of the categories – providing that the requisite donation is sent for each photo submitted.
- For each photograph submitted a donation of £2 (GBP) is required. We recommend that donations are made by Paypal. However, for those who do not have a Paypal account donations can be made by bank transfer to our UK bank account. Full details of how to pay are on our website on the DONATE page. Please ensure that you quote PHOTO COMPETITION as your reference for donation.
- The closing date for all entries is midnight on Sunday 20th August 2017. Any submissions received after this date (time stamp from the email will be used to determine the time a photograph is submitted) will not be included in the competition, however the donation given for the entry will not be refunded.
HELPFUL HINTS FROM YVONNE WHITE (PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER)
- Make sure your photographs are submitted in JPG format and set those phones and cameras to the biggest photo size they will allow.
- Your picture will be judged by its visual impact, originality and composition.
- Entries are landscape format, which means wider than deeper, like your TV screen
- Always try and ensure you have good light, especially if using phone cameras – there is less chance of blurry photos if the light is nice and bright and evenly spread.
- Photographing animals nearly always works better if you can get down to their level, so bend those knees and get down lower if needs be.
- Watch for backgrounds, if you can get a less cluttered background, it throws more emphasis onto the subject.
- Let’s see Kalkan, uncluttered backgrounds are not always possible, so instead, dig out the ‘street’ photographer in you and show us the animals in their natural Kalkan environment – or their new environment if you are entering the animals overseas category.
- Focus on the eyes if trying to get a proper portrait photo – even phone cameras allow you to tap the screen at the point you want in focus – aim for those windows on the soul!
- Action shots, much harder to do, but have a go with a cat or dog moving, running, jumping – when you get it right, they are very satisfying and have massive visual impact.
- Most importantly – capture a moment, a look, a personality, an emotion… because these are the things great photos are made of.
- Good luck everyone, I am so looking forward to seeing all your wonderful photos.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Copyright of any photograph entered in to the competition remains with the photographer, but by entering the competition the photographer accepts that if one of their images is placed either 1st, 2nd or 3rd in any category, that KAPSA have the right to reproduce their winning entry for the 2018 calendar, postcards and to be displayed on the competition page of the KAPSA website, without payment or the photographers’ prior approval.
- Please submit your photographs in JPG format using the best resolution possible on your camera to avoid pixilation and to allow for printing. Photos that are too small will have to be excluded.
- You may enter as many photographs as you want. Please ensure that you submit a £2 donation for each photograph submitted. Photographs which are received without a corresponding payment being received will be excluded from the competition.
- It will be assumed that the name of the person submitting the photographs, as detailed in the accompanying email, is the person entering the competition. Only original photographs taken by the entrant will be accepted. If the subject of the photograph is not your own pet, please get the animal owner’s permission (not applicable in the case of Kalkan street cats and dogs).
- Photographs that include children must be accompanied by the permission of their parent (if they are not your own child). The permission must state that the image can be submitted to the competition, and that they agree to it be used for postcards and also on the KAPSA website.
- The judges’ decision on all winners is final. No correspondence can be entered in to. All winners will be notified by 31st August 2017, and arrangements will be made for rosettes and the overall winner’s trophy to be given to the winners. A full list of winners will be displayed on our website.